DON'T PRESS REWIND

A few minutes before writing this piece I opened my top drawer to retrieve some information from my old phone. As I held the phone in my hand and admired it's beauty I was struck with renewed admiration for it. The phone I'm referring to was my first real smart phone, the first generation IPhone. Several years ago while I was out of town on business my wife purchased this phone for me and surprised me with it when I returned. Needless to say I was shocked, a little concerned (she spent a nice chunk of change) but pleasantly surprised. 

My Old IPhone
During the time when this phone was released it was the apex of mobile communication.  It had features and an intuitiveness that was never seen before on the mass market. I was smitten by the black screen and beautiful chrome back. I immediately dove head first into trying to learn about its many features, functions, and amenities.  I quickly became acquainted with it and I grew to desire it over any phone on the market.

Well as time passed and we moved forward into different financial seasons of life I had to switch to an inferior phone which caused me to miss my IPhone greatly. Despite the fact that Apple created more advanced phones and companies such as Samsung, Google, and others created phones that were just as good I still clung to that old IPhone in my drawer. Then one day last year my son, who I helped get his first IPhone years ago, came into my room and took my old IPhone. 

When AG 2 returned my IPhone was activated and working. Needless to say I was back in business, joy returned to my techno-driven heart, and I was ready to take on the world. I double checked my contact list, added some email accounts, started surfing the net, and indulged in other wonderful things I couldn't do on my not-so-smart phone. But it didn't take me long to realize that somethings had changed since I first started using this old Iphone fresh out of the box. Yes, you guessed right, it was slow, literally with just 2G speed. Because it was old some of the apps wouldn't work right and I couldn't upgrade to a newer version of the app because my phone was just plain old. I also noticed the touch sensors were starting to fail, I had to tap it hard at times just to get it to respond. And let's not even talk about how often it froze...geez! Everybody around me had new updated phones that could do incredible stuff but mine could barely get out of the starter's gate. 

I soon realized that the IPhone of my dreams was now just an old dinosaur still trying to roam in the twenty first century. Yes-Yes, I was really frustrated and ready for something newer. As fate would have it my son entered the room again during the latter part of 2013.  This time when he entered the room (out of pity) he gave me his old Iphone 3GS because he upgraded to a newer version. Can you say it with me, Hallelujah-H a l l e l u j a h!!! Oh yeah, I was out of the old and into something newer. When I turned the screen on everything was bright and shiny. The phone was sleeker, faster, more intuitive, loaded with gadgets, and more. I was happy to at least be able to enjoy some of the latest technology. 

This morning as I revisited my old IPhone I was amazed at how good it looked and how smooth it ran and nostalgia began to kick in as I reminisced about the past.  While I was in this glorious cloud something within reminded me of what I felt last year and I immediately snapped back to reality. As nice and lovely as my old phone looked I didn't need to go back to it. There was a reason why I was using a newer phone. There are times that looking back can cripple you. Philippians 3:13b says "...forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before." When looking back, old relationships can look good, old habits can look good, old mindsets can look good, old sins can look good, old money can look good, the good ole times can look good, but there is a reason why you gave up all those things. Like my phone some of your stuff was too slow, not responsive to touch, frozen, and plain old, and in need of being replaced. 

I want to encourage you to embrace your present and expect a great future. It's time you started reaching for the future. The longer you live in the past the longer it will take you to move forward into the future! If it didn't work then it won't work now. Embrace a 4G life and DON'T PRESS REWIND!

P.S. I'm about to kick off some life changing training/coaching which will empower people to overcome their struggles and attain success in life. I'll begin by doing a powerful webinar on temptations and helping people to master their weaknesses. More information will be released soon. If you have an interest in joining this exclusive group and receiving personal coaching from me, CLICK the link below, and sign up. Trust me it's going to be great!!! CLICK >>> http://bit.ly/1izTBlL


1 comment:

  1. Seeing the past for what it was will never change it or make it any better. Some people have had very storied "pasts" in their lives and they can be crippling. I like your advice about not pressing rewind. Pressing fast forward isn't what we want either as living for today and hoping for the future will make our lives much more full.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for responding to my blog. I hope to communicate again with you soon. Thanks and God Bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...